2012 F1 Season – Ferrari F2012
After McLaren and their MP4-27 F1 car, Ferrari have also unveiled theirs called F2012 – very "original".
As always at Ferrari, a great deal of time has been devoted to the performance and optimisation of the materials used, right from the design stage of each of around six thousand components that make up the car. In part, this is done to ensure that all operations carried out at the race track are as efficient and effective as possible. Obviously, quality control remains a crucial aspect, as does the goal of reaching maximum levels of performance and reliability, while maintaining the highest possible safety standards.
With a reduction in the number of days available for track testing before the start of the Championship, which has dropped from fifteen to twelve, preparatory work on the test beds prior to the car's track debut, has taken on even more importance. The three test sessions – at Jerez de la Frontera and Barcelona – will serve to get a picture of the handling of the F2012 and to adapt it to the Pirelli tyres. Indeed, getting the most out of the tyres has been an area that has seen a lot of work both at the design stage and in how the activities at the track are to be managed. The car is due to undergo a very intensive development programme over the first part of the season, especially on the aerodynamic front.
Check out the specs below!
- Carbon-fibre and honeycomb composite structure
- Gearbox: Ferrari longitudinal gearbox
- Differential: Limited-slip differential
- Command: Semiautomatic sequential electronically controlled gearbox â€" quick shift
- Number of gears: 7 +Reverse
- Brakes: Brembo ventilated carbon-fibre disc brakes
- Suspension: Independent suspension, pull-rod activated torsion springs front and rear
- Weight with water, lubricant and driver: 640 kg
- OZ Wheels (front and rear): 13"
- Type: 056
- Number of cylinders: 8
- Cylinder block in sand cast aluminium: V 90°
- Number of valves: 32
- Pneumatic distribution
- Total displacement: 2398 cm3
- Piston bore: 98 mm
- Weight: >95 kg
- Electronic injection and ignition
- Fuel: Shell V-Power
- Lubricant: Shell Helix Ultra