Cruze Pays Toll To Weight And Race Incidents
Incidents during the first lap of race 1 and the handicap ofrunning with high weight influenced the overall result of the Chevrolet Cruzesin the Race of Spain, the fifth round of the World Touring Car Championship,which took place today in the Circuito Ricardo Tormo in Valencia.
All three cars managed to finish both races, although they wereunable to score any drivers points. The team arestaying at Valencia, to dosome development testing tomorrow to continue the performance path of the new Cruze, in preparation for the next race in Brno in three weeks time.
Nicola Larini (11th / 12th): "Our cars were simply too heavy with respect to competition. Because ofthat, I had to brake earlier at every corner and was unable to hold back someof my opponents. I was hit during the first corner incident in race 1, butmanaged to emerge with not too much damage. In race 2, the car was very good inthe first laps, but because of the weight the tyreswere down on performance as from lap 5. There was nothing more we could do".
Alain Menu (15th/ 12th): "The first corner in race 1 wassimply madness. I got touched by a SEAT and ended in the gravel, losing me manypositions and damaging my steering. In race 2, I had a nice fight with Rydell and Porteiro, but I couldnot do any better than 12th, we did not have enough speed".
Rob Huff (22nd/ 22nd): "I got hit in the first corner inrace 1, and lost positions, then a couple of laps later I had contact with Bennani, and had to stop in the pits to change a puncturedright front tyre. In race 2, I had a good start, butlater made a little mistake in turn 2, missing the braking point and unwillinglyhitting Alain."
Mark Busfield: "Unfortunately, all our three carsgot involved in the melée in the first corner, whereeverybody seemed to be involved, and we suffered damages to different extents.This impacted on our pace and results in race 1 and put us down the grid forrace 2. Tomorrow, we will be here in Valencia to test and do some workon the suspension and set-up that should take us forward in the development ofthe car".
Eric Neve: "We knew we cannot win every weekend and we knew that Valencia wasgoing to be difficult. There is still a lot to learn about the new Cruze and this is why the team has planned a testingsession here tomorrow, where we can build on the information gathered duringthe weekend".
VALENCIA RACE 1 RESULTS
1. Y Muller SEAT León TDI 13 laps in 23m13s675
2. T Monteiro SEAT León TDI +1s884
3. G Tarquini SEAT León TDI +4s157
4. A Farfus BMW 320si +5s364
5. A Priaulx BMW 320si +5s943
11. N Larini ChevroletCruze +16s461
15. A Menu Chevrolet Cruze +26s381
22. R Huff ChevroletCruze +1lap
VALENCIA RACE 2 RESULTS
1. A Farfus BMW 320si 13laps in 23m16s075
2. J Müller BMW 320si +0s540
3. G Tarquini SEAT León TDI +5s426
4. A Priaulx BMW 320si +5s884
5. A Zanardi BMW 320si +6s676
12. A Menu Chevrolet Cruze +20s965
13. N Larini ChevroletCruze +23s139
22. R Huff Chevrolet Cruze +43s503
WTCC DRIVERSCHAMPIONSHIP STANDINGS AFTER ROUND 10 OF 24 :
1. Y Muller (SEAT), 57 points; 2. A Farfus (BMW), 54; 3. G Tarquini (SEAT), 46; 3. A Priaulx(BMW), 35; 5. R Huff (Chevrolet), 32; ... 10. N Larini (Chevrolet), 14; 11. A Menu (Chevrolet), 14; etc
WTCC CONSTRUCTORSCHAMPIONSHIP STANDINGS AFTER ROUND 10 OF 24:
1. SEAT, 136 points; 2. BMW, 120; 3. Chevrolet, 96; 4. Lada, 35.