Subaru Legacy Touring Wagon, B4 and Outback all fully redesigned
Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), the manufacturer of Subaru automobiles, today announced the launch of the fully redesigned Legacy series, Subaru's main model, across Subaru dealerships in Japan. Under the product concept of "Grand Touring Innovation", the fifth-generation new Legacy offers a comfortable passenger compartment and excellent environmental considerations, while further enhancing its unique driving performance and safety, featuring Symmetrical All-Wheel-Drive (AWD) with a Horizontally-Opposed (BOXER) engine as Subaru's core technology.
For 20 years since the birth of Legacy's first generation in 1989, the Legacy series has evolved in line with the philosophy of grand touring, "Better distance, better comfort and better safety" carried on consistently and improved over years of development. It has offered distinctive values fitting with the times, for instance, it established excellent driving performance as a driver's car and outstanding functionality as a touring wagon. This unique product development has received high praise from a great number of our customers making the Legacy one of Subaru's most representative models with 3.6 million vehicles owned in the world.
The total vehicle performance of the fifth generation Legacy was advanced through the introduction of an all new package; it includes the new Subaru CVT (continuous variable transmission), Lineartronic™ and a new engine cradle system.
In addition to focussing on enhancing "Driver's fun", a key value carried on consistently since the first generation, the new Legacy was developed to create new values such as "Passenger's fun" and "Eco performance", under the concept of "Grand Touring and Innovation". -Driver's fun-Superior driveability and the enjoyment of driving which have been pursued since its first introduction. -Passenger's fun-Spacious and comfortable compartment for all passengers to enjoy while driving. -Eco performance-Confidence in driving and safety with enhanced environmental considerations.
Main features of the product
• The increased length, width and height from the previous model provide spaciousness to all the seats. In addition to the widened rear trunk/rear gate opening, the cargo capacity was increased. • Through adoption of doors with attached sash, the enlarged rear door opening provides improved accessibility to the rear seats. • Optimization of pillars secures a wider field of view for the drivers. A minimum turning radius of 5.5m was also achieved. • The incorporation of the electronic parking brake eliminates the need for the hand brake lever, allowing a spacious front passenger compartment. The concave shape of the front seat backs provide ample legroom for rear passengers.
• With boldness and presence as a theme, newly designed exterior evokes not only comfortable and ample passenger compartment, but also Legacy's sporty look and high functionality. • Touring Wagon: Best balance of functionality and comfortable interior space. B4 (Sedan): Legacy's sportiness inherited from the predecessor. Outback: Enhanced image of boldness and toughness. • For Touring Wagon and Outback, the D-pillars were re-envisioned to project freshness, with Legacy's characteristics maintained. • Chrome mouldings around the windows accentuate presence with a quality feel.
• The new interior design imparts a feeling of spaciousness and comfort as well as quality emphasized by shading expressions and material texture. • The seats with wide seating surface and redesigned cushions excel in comfort and support. By increasing the amount of slide and lift of the driver's seat, settings can be more finely tuned to better meet drivers' needs. Two selections are provided for interior colours: off-black colour that expresses high quality and sporty look and ivory colour that brings sense of high quality, space and warmth.
• The centre console features two-cup holders arranged side by side, and the console box with arm rest and door pockets were enlarged to provide more inside storage space. • A 10-way driver's seat, with power lumber support adjustment, is available (except for 2.5i and 2.5GT) to enhance comfort.
Audio and Navigation
• Two settings are available for manufacturer equipped options: LEGACY premium sound system with acoustic field tuning, designed specifically for Legacy, and LEGACY McIntosh sound system. • HDD navigation supporting G-BOOK ALPHA is equipped with high-definition VGA8 inch monitor and rear view camera.
Engine & Transmission
Transmission Touring Wagon
|2.5-litre, SOHC, Horizontally-Opposed, 4-cylinder, petrol engine||LineartronicTM||•||•||•|
|2.5-litre, DOHC, Horizontally-Opposed, turbocharged 4-cylinder, petrol engine||E-5AT/ 6 speed MT||•||•||
|3.6-litre, DOHC, Horizontally-Opposed, 6-cylinder, petrol engine||E-5AT||
• SI-DRIVE is featured in all models. Three different modes (Intelligent, Sport and Sport Sharp) are available to suit three specific driving styles, driving feel and driving situations.
2.5-litre SOHC engine
• Displacement from the existing 2.0-litre was increased by 500 cc, achieving smooth and comfortable driving with lower-range torque. • The improved engine head cooling performance, resin-based intake manifold, and optimized piston shape contribute to reducing weight and friction. • Combined with Lineartronic™ that has excellent transfer efficiency, the driving performance and fuel efficiency are well balanced.
2.5-litre DOHC turbo engine
• Displacement from the existing 2.0-litre was increased by 500 cc. The peak torque is sustained smoothly from 2,000 rpm to the higher rpm ranges to realize superior driving performance. • The turbocharger unit was placed directly under the forward part of the engine. This layout increases response with smoother turbo-charging and improves fuel economy. • The exhaust system layout including the catalytic converter was optimized, enhancing the exhaust emission control performance.
3.6-litre DOHC engine
• Featuring an increased displacement from the existing 3.0-litre engine without significantly growing in size, the new 3.6-litre engine offers excellent driving performance and environmental friendliness with smooth revolution performance and ample torque from the lower rpm ranges. It is also economical by using regular grade fuel.
• A chain-type variator (main speed variator) was adopted. The compact design provides legroom in the front seats, while the fuel economy was improved especially in the over-drive range through excellent transfer efficiency. • Making good use of the advantages of a chain-type CVT, the Lineartronic™ employs smaller pulley cores, which makes the unit compact. Due to the significant size difference between the smallest and largest pulley core diameters, it provides infinite variability between the highest and lowest available ratios, helping to keep the engine operating in its most efficient range and to achieve excellent dynamic performance. • With perfect balance of torque delivery and engine revolutions, it delivers linear and smooth acceleration matching to the driver's intention. • The manual mode uses six pre-selected gear ratios that allow the driver to shift manually using the steering wheel paddle shift controls. The shift response occurs within 0.1 seconds or less, instantly responding to the driver's intention.
• E-5AT with high-density control and a smooth gearshift feeling was adopted. Friction and weight were reduced internally, improving the fuel economy. • The improved downshift blipping control enhances the gearshift response in manual mode. Smooth downshift contributes to reducing shocks when shifting gear.
6-speed manual transmission
• The lightweight, compact 6-speed manual transmission was newly designed. In addition, the specially designed gear ratio provides improved dynamic performance and fuel economy.
• In line with "Subaru Dynamic Chassis Control Concept" (Subaru DC 3 ), chassis and body were further advanced to provide a feeling of reliable, comfortable and superior driveability. • A new engine cradle was newly designed as a powertrain mounting system. It not only helps reducing noise and providing more refined ride and stability, but also improves front impact safety. • Strut type and double-wish bone type suspensions are used respectively for the front and rear. Excellent driveability and smooth ride comfort were achieved not only through the installation of the front suspension arm to the cradle, but also through the damper structure modification and the optimized geometry. • An electronic power steering system was adopted for all models. Along with the increased fuel economy, linear steering was realized. • The electronic parking brake is standard equipment for all models. An electronic Hill Holder System in the parking brake is automatically activated if the vehicle stops on any hill with a slope of more than 5%. • VDC (Vehicle Dynamics Control) is standard equipment for all models. For E-5AT model with 2.5-litre DOHC turbo engine, slip predictive control using the electronic power steering sensor was adopted.
• Use of high-tensile steel in critical body parts contributes to weight reduction and higher overall rigidity. • The cradle structure mounting characteristics provide lightweight, sufficient strength and rigidity around the front body, providing excellent handling control and stability.
• "75% decrease level in the 2005 exhaust regulations" (SU-LEV) by Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism was achieved on all models. • The 2.5-litre SOHC engine with Lineartronic™ provides excellent driveability and fuel economy thanks to its superior transfer efficiency. • For the 2.5-litre DOHC turbo engine, significant design changes in the turbocharger, mainly due to adoption of the new engine cradle system, raised performance and lowered emission levels. • The reduced friction in engine parts and the lightened body structure enhance environmental friendliness of the whole vehicle. • All models feature an ECO gauge as an item to encourage and improve fuel efficiency.
• For front impact, the engine cradle frame folds inwards and causes the power unit to slide downwards, thus creating a greater zone of protection for the cabin space. In addition, the structure allows the main frame to absorb the impact more efficiently. • For side impact, the high-tensile steel is used inside the B-pillars and side sills. The energy produced on rear impact is effectively absorbed through the optimized frame construction. • SRS driver's and passenger's airbags, SRS side airbag and SRS curtain airbag are installed
(except for 2.5i and 2.5GT). • Newly designed high-strength front seat frames and energy-absorbing headrests provide enhanced protection against whiplash injury in rear-end collision.
Other functions and equipment
• Stop-hold function was newly added to the SI radar cruise system, whose excellent functions include tracking cars ahead at all speed range. Driver's burden at rapid start-up/stop during low-speed tracking is reduced. • The pop-up headlamp washer is added as a manufacturer equipped option. • The automatic light and automatic wiper are equipped as a manufacturer's option, enhancing convenience at night and rain. • Keyless Access & Push Button Start System is equipped (except for 2.5i, 2.5i S Package and 2.5GT).