Clarion K1 Attack Roadster - a dream cоme true
This is Clarion K1 Attack Roadster, which has been built by a senior technical manager for a Mercedes-Benz dealership in Bristol – Oliver. K1 Attack Roadster is a true masterpiece and fulfils Oliver's dream to create a unique car.
The project started with an approach to Swindon-based mobile entertainment specialists - Clarion, who Oliver suggested might like to showcase its award-winning audio, multimedia and satellite navigation equipment in his project.
After 4 000 human hours over 3 years and £70 000 of Olivers hard-earned cash and savings – the unique K1 Attack sportscar is ready to catch the attention of everybody, who sees it.
Starting with a basic chassis, some body panels and a variety of components, delivered in a box from the Slovakian factory in 2006, Oliver set to in his garage, creating and building his dream car in stages.
"I have actually assembled the car four times since starting the project", commented Oliver.
"I had an original concept firmly in mind, and the design and specification evolved as I went along by building the car, checking the fit of every new component, dis-assembling, making modifications and so on, until I was happy with every element.", he added.
All parts of the car are custom made, specially to match Oliver taste. The parts list is huge and includes linear actuators and mechanisms for opening the driver and passenger doors by remote control, carbon fibre bodywork and interior detailing, colour-coded cabling, polished hoses and pipework, chromed suspension and a full bespoke leather/Alcantara cockpit, detailed with exquisite design and styling touches.
"For example, I chose Asanti wheels from the USA, at £2,000 each, because they are just the greatest. I spent many thousands of pounds more on the composite bodywork styling, hand-crafted seats and interior, suspension, lighting, designing and engineering a right-hand drive conversion, even chroming hundreds of nuts and bolts…the list is endless.", explained Oliver.
The car is powered b Honda Civic Type R 2.0 litre 4-cylinder engine delivering 250bhp and combined with 6-speed manual gearbox. Furthermore, the car has race-bred suspension and formidable Brembo braking.
Amidst all the attention, Oliver is frequently asked what he'll do now the car is finished. "I've actually been offered a lot of money to sell it but I plan to enjoy it for a year or so, and after that? Well, building a speedboat from scratch could be fun," he mused, suggesting this isn't the last we'll hear of the West Country wizard.
Vehicle & Bodywork
- Steel tubular K1 Attack chassis coated in graphite metallic powder coat with full custom right-hand drive conversion.
- Composite body, finished in Lamborghini balloon white pearl, with graphite detailin
- Carbon fibre front and rear valences
- Bespoke carbon fibre bonnet pods
- Bespoke rear tailgate with boot and spoiler assembly
- Bespoke carbon fibre one-piece roof & windows
- Bespoke two-piece roof with mohair panels for "get me home" roof
- 246bhp Honda Civic type R Ep3 engine 2-litre with 6-speed manual Honda type R gearbox
- Hondata Kpro ECU, custom-mapped and tuned
- Custom side HKS inlet air intake
- Colour coded / polished hoses and pipe work
- Full Samco Urban Camo hose kit
- Two light weight Powervamp racing batteries in custom framework at front of chassis
- Supercharger conversion to be fitted 2010
- Front: Brembo Gran Turismo vented & cross-drilled discs and calipers
- Rear: Brembo DC5 vented & cross-drilled discs and calipers with combined hand brake mechanism
- Tilton Brake bias valve
Wheels & Wheels
- Bespoke Asanti 144 wheels 19" x 8.5 front; 19" x 10 rear
- Yokohama Advan tyres Front: 235/40 ZR19 Rear: 285/35ZR19
- Sporteing adjustable coil-overs with custom springs
- Front suspension arms coated in marine chrome
Cooling & Exhaust
- Bespoke stainless exhaust system with twin centre exit exhaust, inc high flow catalytic converter
- Bespoke four-branch manifold
- Bespoke stainless coolant pipe work front to rear
- Alloy front mounted radiator, with custom alloy header tank
- Racing seats re-moulded in carbon fibre & trimmed in black leather, red stitching with red alcantara detailing
- Instrument panel glove box and door cards trimmed in Black leather with red stitching & red alcantara detailing to match seats
- Centre dash panned remoulded in carbon fibre then re-trimmed in leather & red alcantara
- Bespoke carbon fibre centre console with bespoke stainless gear surround
- Momo GTR2 Steering wheel re-trimmed with red alcantara grips to match interior
- Momo GTR2 gear knob with custom gator
- Momo GTR2 handbrake handle
- Momo GTR2 pedals
- Momo 4-point race harness in red
Audio & multimedia
- Dashboard chassis assembly lowered by 50mm to accommodate Clarion MAX678RVD double DIN multimedia head unit
- Two pairs of Clarion SRU1720 component speakers moulded into bespoke door cards and A-pillar housings re-trimmed in leather & alcantara
- Clarion NAX973HD hard drive navigation moulded into dashboard below glove box
- Two Clarion APA4360 active amplifiers built into floors below seats
- Clarion CC2011E reverse camera set into rear number plate surround
- Clarion BLT373 Bluetooth hands free phone kit
- Clarion iPod kit mounted into glove box
- Two Clarion PFW1051 subwoofers built into bespoke fibreglass enclosures behind each seat, re-trimmed in black leather & red alcantara
- Portable 1000 Gigabyte hard drive built into custom concealed enclosure behind seat
- Linear actuators installed for remote one-touch access to driver & passenger doors, boot & bonnet
- PIAA Hid headlight system, LED sidelights
- Renovatio LED rear lights
- Full Cat1 alarm / immobiliser system with mobile alert system