Opel incorporates Start/Stop technology on Corsa and Agila
Striving for minimizing the oil dependency and reducing CO2 emissions, Opel has announced the incorporation of the Start/Stop technology on the Corsa 1.3 CDTI (75 horsepower/55 kW) and Agila 1.2 l (94 horsepower/69 kW) gasoline together with a Euro 5 upgrade and a CO2 engine optimization package, delivering significant fuel economy in city driving.
Regarded as the most advantageous for urban areas, the Start/Stop technology is designed on a simple principle: A powerplant which is not running cannot consume fuel. Thanks to that, when the ride is at a traffic light or train crossing, the engine will automatically stop when the driver engages the neutral gear and releases the clutch pedal. When the traffic light turns green, the driver simply has to press the clutch pedal to restart the engine, shift into first gear and take off.
Fitted with the new high-tech feature, the Opel Corsa 1.3 CDTI estimates only 4.0 liters/100 km and emits 105 grams CO2, 6.25 percent less than the same variant without the technology in the combined cycle. In urban cycle, the owners will be even more pleased the new eco-friendly feature as the Corsa uses 4.8 liters/100 km, compared with 5.3 liters/100 km without Start/Stop and emits 10.6 percent less CO2.
The ecoFLEX pack for the Opel Corsa includes:
- Start/Stop system with enhanced starter motor, which ensures the system will last the lifetime of the vehicle
- High performance Absorbent Glass Mat battery. This upgrade of the vehicle‘s electrical system keeps the operation reliable and makes sure the engine restarts every time
- Intelligent Battery Management with Battery Sensor which has been added for reliability and quality control
- Electric Power Management, too, ensures the engine restarts every time
- Additional water pump keeps the cabin warm in cool weather during the stop phase
- Switch-off button for manual control so that customers can choose when they want to use this feature
The Opel Agila 1.2 with Start/Stop technology requires only 5.0 liters of gasoline per 100 km and emits 116 g CO2, offering a CO2 cut of 2.5 percent in comparison with the same engine without the feature. In the urban driving, the Start/Stop decreases emissions by 9 percent.
The ecoFLEX Package for the Opel Agila incorporates:
- Start/Stop System
- Enhanced battery
- Intelligent battery management with battery sensor
- Switch-off button for manual control
Despite its significant improvements in the fuel efficiency and eco-friendliness, the packages are price-tagged at 350 Euro for the Corsa and 300 Euro for the Agila model.