2011 Renault Megane Coupe-Cabriolet full details
New Megane Coupe-Cabriolet rounds off the renewal of the New Megane family in style with introduction of the line-up's sixth body type. The newcomer's striking looks combine the elegance of a coupe with the promise of the thrills that go hand-in-hand with driving a cabriolet.
New Megane Coupe-Cabriolet builds on the strengths that forged the success of its predecessor – including a large, folding glass roof and a raft of user-friendly equipment – yet it goes further still by offering customers:
- unruffled open-top motoring thanks to the forward position of the windscreen and a fixed glass wind deflector situated behind the rear head restraints
- outstanding handling performance thanks to a stiffer chassis and a new electric power steering system
- a broad choice of efficient and eco-friendly powertrains, including the all-new automatic EDC (Efficient Dual Clutch) transmission
- careful attention to quality, including high-gloss black and satin-effect chrome exterior features.
New Megane Coupe-Cabriolet is manufactured alongside Scenic and Grand Scenic at Renault's Douai plant in France. It consequently benefits from the experience gained since the beginning of the Megane programme, including the assembly of the former-generation Megane Coupe-Cabriolet.
New Megane Coupe-Cabriolet is an open invitation to enjoy an alternative way to go motoring, and is an elegant illustration of Renault's new brand signature, 'Drive the Change'.
Sales of New Megane Coupe-Cabriolet will begin this spring.
ARRESTING LOOKS FROM EVERY ANGLE
New Megane Coupe-Cabriolet completes the renewal of the New Megane family in style. Its elegant looks are underpinned by the large glass roof which tells you that this is unmistakably a cabriolet, even in its coupe configuration. This high-gloss finish, black glass roof contrasts with the satin-effect chrome windscreen frame. The dark red taillights feature a linear lighting pattern and LED brake lights to provide a distinctive rear lighting signature.
The interior layout carries over the same elegance, thanks not only to the quality of the materials employed and to the high standard of finish, but also to the three choices of trim, which range from dark charcoal and light beige to the charcoal and red two-tone finish with leather seats.
Although the dashboard is identical to that of New Megane Hatchback, the seats offer additional lateral support, while the 'butterfly wing' door trim panel is specific to New Megane Coupe-Cabriolet and adds to the newcomer's appeal.
CHIC AND PRACTICAL
New Megane Coupe-Cabriolet's occupants benefit from the thrills of unruffled open-top motoring in all conditions.
The standard folding glass hard roof boasts a transparent glazed area of 0.47 sq. metres (the largest in the segment) to ensure a brightly lit cabin and a sensation of space and freedom. It also guarantees outstanding acoustic and thermal comfort, as well as the reassurance of greater protection from vandalism. The fully-automatic, electro-hydraulic opening mechanism of the two-part roof enables the driver to lower the top in just 21 seconds at the press of a button.
With the top down, the driver and passengers alike enjoy a real sense of freedom. Entry and exit is made easier by the more forward position of the windscreen header-rail which has been advanced by 6cm compared with Megane II Coupe-Cabriolet.
To make sure that all occupants are able to benefit from the pleasure of riding al fresco without the drawbacks, New Megane Coupe-Cabriolet is equipped with a fixed glass wind deflector (unique in the segment) positioned behind the back seat headrests. This arrangement enables four people to enjoy draft-free driving at speeds of up to 90kph and, when used in conjunction with the removable mesh deflector screen located behind the front seats, allows two occupants to travel free from buffeting whatever the speed.
The driver is treated to a carefully thought-through environment and conveniently positioned controls which carry over solutions previously employed for New Megane Hatchback and New Megane Coupe:
- controls clustered either around the steering wheel or on the centre console,
- height- and fore/aft-adjustable driver's seat (through 70mm and 240mm respectively),
- position memory for front seats, after being tipped forward,
- reach and height-adjustable steering wheel (through 45mm and five degrees respectively).
In addition to New Megane Coupe-Cabriolet's carefully-honed lines, special attention has gone into ensuring that it is a practical package, too, and that includes the boot:
- automatic closing for simple, secure locking,
- large capacity (417 litres with the roof up, and 211 litres with the roof down),
- easy to access, with a segment-best sill height (590mm from the ground) and aperture (258mm) with the roof down, enabling three cabin cases to be carried side by side.
A RAFT OF PRACTICAL, USER-FRIENDLY HIGH-TECH FEATURES
Like all the models that make up the New Megane family, New Renault Megane Coupe-Cabriolet is available with a long list of high-tech features, most of which are more readily associated with the next segment up:
- hands-free starting, and hands-free locking as the card-holder walks away from the car,
- automatic electric parking brake,
- automatic dual-zone three-mode (soft-auto-fast) climate control,
- directional bi-Xenon headlamps,
- combined digital/analogue instrument display,
- new, colour-coded cruise control/speed limiter interface,
- 3D sound by Arkamys® audio with Plug&Music connectivity (USB, mini-jack plug),
- Carminat TomTom® navigation, the market's most competitively priced built-in sat-nav system,
- customised settings and activation/deactivation of certain functions (daytime running lights, volume of audible parking proximity warning).
A PERFECTLY SMOOTH RIDE
New Renault Megane Coupe-Cabriolet delivers the same high standard of driving precision as Megane Hatchback and Megane Coupe to provide an enjoyable, responsive ride:
- The MacPherson-type front suspension is attached to a so-called 'horned' subframe, an arrangement that ensures a level of lateral rigidity that is three-times superior to that of the former-generation Megan Coupe-Cabriolet.
- The rear suspension's torsion beam features a lighter, closed-profile beam that delivers enhanced torsional stiffness.
- The new electric power steering system is more responsive and refined, and gives even more accurate feedback of information from the road.
The torsional rigidity of the bodyshell has been uprated by 80 per cent compared with Megane II Coupe-Cabriolet in order to match the increased stiffness of the suspension and for even greater handling precision, whether the roof is up or down.
New Megane Coupe-Cabriolet is available with a choice of seven efficient and eco-friendly petrol and diesel powertrain configurations (depending on the market).
- The 1.6 16V 110hp engine mated to a six-speed manual gearbox.
- The TCe 130 (Turbo Control efficiency) driving through a six-speed manual gearbox.
- The 2.0 16V 140hp engine available with the new continuously variable transmission (CVT) for even greater driving comfort thanks to smooth, step-less gearshifts.
The diesel engine range comprises the following Euro5-homologated powerplants:
- The dCi 110 DPF, mated either to the brand new six-speed EDC (Efficient Dual Clutch) dual-clutch automatic transmission (see below) or to a manual six-speed gearbox.
- The dCi 130 DPF which drives through a six-speed manual gearbox.
- The dCi 160 DPF also with a six-speed manual gearbox.
EDC (Efficient Dual Clutch) dual-clutch automatic transmission
The six-speed EDC (Efficient Dual Clutch) dual-clutch automatic transmission fits perfectly with Renault's bid to combine ride comfort, driving pleasure and respect for the environment. The New Megane Coupe-Cabriolet is the first Renault to use this new gearbox.
Based on DCT (Dual Clutch Transmission) technology, it stands out as a genuine clean-break solution compared with conventional automatic transmissions thanks to:
- CO2 emissions and fuel consumption comparable to those of a vehicle equipped with a manual gearbox,
- fast, smooth, automatic gearshifts,
- instant response to the driver's demands.
THE PLEASURE OF OPEN-TOP MOTORING IN TOTAL SAFETY
When it comes to safety, New Renault Megane Coupe-Cabriolet reaps the benefits of the brand's extensive expertise in this field. Like all the models that make up the New Megane range, it has been engineered to boast exemplary passive and active safety performance.
An extensive range of equipment is available to help drivers anticipate risk situations:
- front seatbelt warning lights,
- tyre pressure monitoring system,
- directional bi-Xenon headlamps with cornering dipped beams,
- automatic headlamp activation,
- automatic windscreen wiper activation,
- cruise control with speed limiter.
New Megane Coupe-Cabriolet comes with a comprehensive range of driving aids, too:
- ABS with electronic brakeforce distribution,
- Emergency brake assist,
- ESP with understeer control.
New Megane Coupe-Cabriolet's chief passive safety features are:
- programmed structural deformation designed to protect the cabin – and therefore occupants – in the case of a rollover, thanks to reinforcement of the windscreen pillars, body sides, sills and floor,
- automatic pyrotechnic deployment of the rollover hoops should dedicated sensors detect that a rollover is imminent,
- seatbelt pretensioners and load limiters,
- adaptive frontal airbags,
- dual-volume head/thorax/pelvis lateral airbags,
- anti-submarining airbags incorporated in the front seat cushions,
- side impact sensors,
- anti-whiplash head restraints,
- Isofix child seat anchorage for rear seats.
The public will get its first chance to see New Megane Coupe-Cabriolet when it is unveiled at the forthcoming Geneva Motor Show (March 4-14). It will also be displayed at L'Atelier Renault on the Champs-Elysees in Paris.