Ferrari Launches F14 T For Formula One
Ferrari F14 T is the sixtieth car built by the Italian company, which was unveiled and is readied to take part in Formula 1 World Championship. What is new here is that the vehicle will sport a turbo-compressor in the Power Unit.
The project for this motorsport car began more than two years ago. Some of the heritage of earlier Ferrari designs can be seen in the F14 T. Such are the pull-rod front and rear suspension. However, the visual appearance of the car is very different to the cars of recent years due to changes to the regulations.
For instance the chassis and nose have been lowered. The rear wing now has a larger stroke DRS, a much smaller overall depth and has no beam wing. The front wing is regulated to be 75mm narrower per side. This was made in order to make this part less vulnerable to collisions with other cars and with the barriers. Moreover, the front wing endplates encompass the outside of the front tyres with the aim to additionally maximize the downforce on the car.
The main area of enhancements is however under the skin of the car. F14 T has completely different cooling, engine oil and water radiators are smaller in order to match the V6 internal combustion part of the Power Unit, an intercooler for the turbo-compressor system has been added.
Another entirely redesigned system is the braking one, which has been modified in compliance with the new regulations. The technicians have ensured greater capacity on the front axle, while Brembo hydraulic caliper at the rear has been reduced in size. Additionally, F14 T will have a brake-by-wire system which optimizes pedal consistency and brake balance control as the ERS braking contribution changes during the braking manoeuvre.
The transmission of the car has been also changed and now was designed in order to ensure that efficient delivery of power through the drivetrain while producing class leading starts and high levels of reliability. At last, the car has been fitted with new Pirelli tyres and 13 inch OZ front and rear wheels.
Ferrari F14 T Technical Specifications:
- Chassis in carbon-fibre and honeycomb composite structure
- Ferrari longitudinal gearbox
- Servo controlled hydraulic limited-slip differential
- Semiautomatic sequential and electronically controlled gearbox with quick shift
- Number of gears - 8 +Reverse
- Brembo ventilated carbon-fibre disc brakes (front and rear) and brake by wire rear brakes
- Independent suspension, pull-rod activated torsion springs front and rear
- Weight with water, lubricant and driver = 691 kg
- 13″ OZ Wheels (front and rear)
- Displacement 1600 cc
- Max revs 15'000
- Turbo charging Single turbo
- Fuel flow 100 kg/hr max
- Fuel capacity 100 kg
- Configuaration V6 90°
- Cylinders 6
- Bore 80 mm
- Stroke 53 mm
- Valves 4 per cylinder
- Injection 500 bar – direct
- Units per driver 5
- Battery Energy (per lap) 4 Mj
- MGU-K power 120 kW
- MGU-K max revs 50'000 rpm
- MGU-H max revs 125'000 rpm