Mitsubishi Motors lineup at 2008 Moscow Motor Show
Mitsubishi Motors Corporation will unveil the new Pajero Sport*1 SUV at the Moscow Auto Salon 2008 (The Moscow Motor Show) to be held at the Crocus Expo in Moscow between August 26 and September 7 (opens to the public on August 29). Mitsubishi Motors will display a total of 15 models at the show. Joining the Pajero Sport on stand will be concept cars including the MITSUBISHI Concept-RA*2 sport coupe concept, the MITSUBISHI Concept-cX*3 compact SUV concept, and the MITSUBISHI Concept-ZT*4 which truly is the embodiment of Mitsubishi Motors' three key value of Driving Pleasure, Safety and Environmental Responsibility - as well as the fast-selling Lancer*5 sport sedan.
*1 Montero Sport in South America, Nativa in Latin America and Challenger in Australia. *2 Road Alive *3 Compact + X (cross) over *4 Z (ultimate) + T (tourer) *5 Galant Fortis in Japan
1. Pajero Sport (for Russian market) Features that distinguish Pajero Sport include a new tough and durable "ladder frame" that provides a platform for outstanding performance under the most stringent off-road conditions and Mitsubishi's highly acclaimed Super Select 4WD system, based on the company's All Wheel Control philosophy. Inside, Pajero Sport achieves class-topping quietness while the comprehensive cabin appointments and practical innovations provide a reassuring and comfortable interior space. (1) Design Pajero Sport's exterior design was developed around the idea of "Cool & Hot" proportions. Its elegant styling makes it look perfectly at home around about town (cool) while its high SUV stance suggests how capably Pajero Sport can deal with all-terrain conditions (hot). The new design melds together a distinctive off-roader silhouette and dynamic lines crafted to create a form that projects a sense of speed. Front over-fenders accentuate the surface-hugging fat tires and macho rear blister fenders add a dash of muscular tenacity, serving to make the body look wider and impart a reassuring sense of safety. Inside, Pajero Sport stays true to the "Cool & Hot" concept. A functional and intuitive center panel is centrally located in the dashboard for a sporty and in an expansive structure that adds to a sense of roominess. The use of two-tone coloring tied to the door trim contributes to creating a coherent interior space distinguished by its clean, unbroken surfaces. Features that serve to enhance levels of functionality and quality appearance include the use of soft-touch seat upholstery and a combination of high-tech brightwork and elegant wood-grain inlays. (2) Packaging The new Pajero Sport moves one size up over its predecessor with an overall length of 4695 mm (compared with 4620 mm for the old model); overall width of 1815 mm (1775 mm); overall height of 1800 mm (1730 mm); and wheelbase of 2800 mm (2725 mm). With an approach angle of 36° (against the Pajero Long model's 36.6°), departure angle of 25° (25°), ground clearance of 215 mm (225 mm) and ramp break over angle of 23° (22.5°), Pajero Sport boasts obstacle clearance angles, an indicator of a vehicle's off-road capability, and ride height on a par with the world-renowned off-road icon, the Pajero. (3) Engine Pajero Sport is powered by an intercooler-turbocharged 4M41-type 3.2-liter diesel unit using a vibration- and noise-reducing common rail direct injection system. The power unit produces maxima of 120 kW (163 PS) / 3500 rpm and 343 Nm (35.0 kg-m) / 2000 rpm. Common rail fuel injection system The common rail direct fuel injection system uses a tube that branches to supply ECU-controlled injector valves which each feed fuel into individual cylinders. The extremely high injection pressures used ensure very high combustion efficiency, thereby reducing NOx emissions and the noise and vibration typically associated with traditional diesel engines. (4) Transmission and driveline Pajero Sport comes with a 4-speed Sport Mode automatic transmission or a 5-speed manual gearbox. The model uses Mitsubishi Motors' All Wheel Control-inspired Super Select 4WD driveline, which enjoys high acclaim for its reliability and go-anywhere capability. The system feeds maximum drive torque to the wheels with the most grip, for competence on all road surfaces. Pajero Sport is available with an optional rear differential lock that eliminates the speed differential between the rear wheels to help the driver extract his vehicle when bogged down. (5) Body Pajero Sport's body sits on a new ladder-frame chassis that realizes very high levels of body strength and durability while the use of impact-energy absorbing deformation beads in the frontal frame sections and other safety-enhancing elements also improve crashworthiness. Bending and torsional rigidity in the new ladder-frame are 100% and 50% (respectively) higher than before, significantly reducing vibration transmitted to the body. The stiffer frame also improves vehicle's reliability in off-road use as well as improving handling and ride comfort when driving on tarmac. (6) Suspension, wheels and tires With a double-wishbone coil spring configuration at the front and a 3-link coil spring arrangement at the rear, Pajero Sport's suspension delivers well-mannered stability and handling characteristics when on tarmac together with maximum tire/surface contact when driving off-road. Pajero Sport is offered with a choice of two sizes of tire: 265/65R 17 (larger) or 265/70R 16. (7) Brakes 16-inch ventilated disc front brakes deliver sure-footed stopping power and accurate brake feel. The rear wheels use 11.6-inch leading trailing drum brakes. (8) Utility and interior equipment The front seatbacks recline fully to provide a flat surface together with the rear seats. The rear seats boast a generous 150 mm slide travel, allowing various configurations for occupant and luggage spaces: either maximum legroom, load carrying capacity or something in between. Pajero Sport's soft seat upholstery is stain- and water-repellent. This plus its waterproof luggage space floor make it the ideal vehicle for outdoor leisure pursuits as well as for everyday use. (9) Audio systems Pajero Sport is available with an audio system that comprises a CD (MP3) player and AM/FM radio tuner, a 420 Watt amplifier and 8 speakers. The tweeters are mounted in specially designed doors enclosures and with punched metal mesh grilles deliver sound of outstanding clarity. Steering wheel-mounted controls allow the driver to operate his audio system without having to take his hand off the wheel.
2. MITSUBISHI Concept-RA Illustrating the fact that fun-to-drive performance and environmental responsibility need not be mutually exclusive concepts, the MITSUBISHI Concept-RA's driveline features the S-AWC vehicle dynamics control system used in the Lancer Evolution*6 together with new Active Steering and Active Damper systems. These systems are integrally managed by the S-AWC system to realize vehicle behavior that faithfully reflects the driver's intent and inputs. MITSUBISHI Concept-RA also uses Mitsubishi Motors' Twin Clutch SST automated manual transmission and is powered by a new high-efficiency, low-emission 2.2-liter 4-cylinder DOHC 16-valve clean diesel engine. With a VD/VG (Variable Diffuser / Variable Geometry) turbocharger producing optimum boost characteristics at all times, the power unit delivers a maximum output of 150 kW (204 PS) and maximum torque of 420 Nm (42.8 kg-m). For compliance with Tier 2 Bin 5 emission regulations in the United States and Post-New Long Term Regulations in Japan, the clean power unit uses a new catalytic converter system that brings together diesel oxidation catalyst (DOC), NOx trap catalyst (NTC) and diesel particulate filter (DPF) technologies. *6 Lancer Evolution X in Japan
3. MITSUBISHI Concept-CX The MITSUBISHI Concept-cX mates a high-output, high-efficiency 1.8-liter clean diesel engine to Mitsubishi Motors' Twin Clutch SST transmission to deliver the highest levels of driving and environmental performance. This compact SUV soft-roader concept offers superior levels of utility and practical performance, a driving position that enhances visibility, and the split tailgate already well received on the Outlander.
4. MITSUBISHI Concept-ZT The Concept-ZT raises the bar both in terms of running and environmental performance. The sedan uses a high-output, fuel-efficient 2.2-liter clean diesel engine mated to Mitsubishi Motors' Twin Clutch SST (Sport Shift Transmission), and employs MMC's plant-based Green Plastic range of interior trim. Concept-ZT features an array of advanced active safety technologies, including pre-crash safety and a lane-drift warning system, as well as technologies that actively support the driver in his operation of the vehicle including all-around multi-monitors and a parking assistance system. A pop-up hood also contributes to Concept-ZT's high level of crashworthiness. With the addition of front E-LSD (Electric control - Limited Slip Differential), ABS and ASC to an electronically controlled 4WD S-AWC system, the MITSUBISHI Concept-ZT which truly is the embodiment of Mitsubishi Motors' three key value of Driving Pleasure, Safety and Environmental Responsibility.
5. Mitsubishi Motors lineup at 2008 Moscow Motor Show