2012 Mercedes-Benz M-Class
The new 2012 Mercedes-Benz M-Class is set to have its official debut at the 2011 Frankfurt Motor Show. However, the premium manufacturer has released full details and specification about the new SAV.
By "new" we don't mean entirely redesigned model, but a slight facelift, which practically is the old M-Class, but with bigger taillights and interesting headlights. The highlights worth mentioning include a new front grille, new wheel designs from 17" to 21" as the biggest come with AMG badge. The improvements are present, still, we think that the rear lights are directly taken from BMW E61 (the previous 5-Series touring). It is tough to create something new and different these days, but this is Mercedes! If they don't have the designers and the engineers to create a real new SAV, nobody can't.
The interior is something different. The cabin is way better than the previous model and now feature higher quality materials and a lot of wood. Yes! The dashboard came directly from the S-Class, so we love it. The center console is wider and has some aluminum elements. The updated COMAND system is also present and as an option, you can order panoramic sunroof. Nice!
As you may suggest, the engines are brilliant. The entry level is ML 250 BlueTec with 2.1 liter four-cylinder diesel delivering hefty 204PS (150 kW) and 500Nm (369 lb-ft). The more powerful diesel – ML 350 BlueTec comes with a 3.0 liter V6 with 258PS (190 kW) and 619Nm (457 lb-ft). The performance is brutal – 0 to 100 km/h for 7.5 seconds and top speed of 224 km/h. Excellent for SAV.
The petrol engine is in ML 350 BueEfficiency with a 3.5 liter V6 with 306PS (225 kW) and 370Nm (273 lb-ft). The top speed is 235 km/h and 0 to 100 km/h takes 7.6 seconds.
All engines come with a 7G-Tronic automatic gearbox delivering the power to an all-wheel drive system.
The new M-Class has a selective damping suspension, while the Airmatic self-leveling air suspension and an Active Curve System with dynamic roll stabilization is available as an option. The SAV equipped with this will be a pleasure to drive.
The safety is at extemely high level - Night View Assist Plus including pedestrian recognition, Speed Limit Assist, Lane Keeping Assist, Blind Spot Assist, Active Park Assist and Distronic Plus and some other intersting systems.
The price is not announced, yet!
Check the specifications below.
2012 Mercedes-Benz M-Class:
|ML 250 BlueTEC 4MATIC||ML 300 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY 4MATIC (Predecessor)||ML 350 BlueTEC 4MATIC||ML 350 CDI 4MATIC (Predecessor)|
|Number of cylinders||4||6||6||6|
|Rated ouput hp||204||204||258||231|
|Max torque Nm||500||500||620||540|
|NEDC combined mpg CO2 / km||43.4 - 47.0 158||31.4 - 33.6 224||38.1 - 41.5 179||30.0 - 31.8 235-246|
|Acceleration 0 - 62 mph s||9.0||8.3||7.4||7.6|
|Top speed mph||130||130||139||136|
|ML 350 4MATIC BlueEFFICIENCY||ML 350 4MATIC (predecessor)|
|Number of cylinders||6||6|
|Rated output hp||306||272|
|Max torque Nm||370||350|
|NEDC combined mpg CO2 / km||32.1 - 33.2 199||23.5 - 24.7 266|
|Acceleration 0-62 mph s||7.6||8.4|
|Top speed mph||146||139|
Air flow optimisation:
- Sealing around the radiator section with adjustable fan shutter
- Sealed joints between the bonnet and the headlamps
- Front wheel spoilers
- Air outlets in the front wheel well liners
- Redesigned exterior mirror housings
- Optimised roof spoiler
- Side spoilers on the rear window (ML 250 BlueTEC 4MATIC)
- Underfloor and engine compartment panelling
- Aerodynamically optimised light-alloy wheels
Comfort and driving dynamics:
- To improve traction, the slip thresholds and shift points of the 7G-TRONIC PLUS system have been raised
- A flatter accelerator pedal curve improves the sensitivity with which the driver can accelerate
- Off-road ABS ensures optimum braking on a loose surface
- Automatic - covers most everyday driving operations
- Offroad 1 - light terrain, dirt roads and tracks
- Offroad 2 - challenging off-road terrain with hilly stretches
- Winter - for driving in wintry conditions on slippery roads, on snow, ice or with snow chains
- Sport - more adventurous, dynamic driving on winding roads
- Trailer - optimises moving off, manoeuvring and braking with a trailer
- Improved rigidity of the front end structure thanks to struts between the lines of the upper and lower longitudinal members
- Increased comfort, yet also reduction in weight, thanks to hybrid construction of front module
- Particularly robust cockpit cross member made in lightweight magnesium alloy
- Intelligent use of acoustic insulation In the production plants, insulation is fitted to the bodyshell where it is needed by computer-controlled robots. In the firewall area, the mass distribution of the insulation material used may vary in places in order to counteract potential noise penetration.
- Aluminium transmission cross member with integrated vibration damper in the diesel models
- Vibrationally optimised 7G-TRONIC PLUS with twin-turbine damper and, in the diesel models, a centrifugal pendulum
- Electronically mapped hydraulic engine mounts in the diesel versions
- Decoupled exhaust system on diesel models
- Standard chassis with selective damping, as an option: AIRMATIC air suspension with adaptive damping system or AIRMATIC air suspension with adaptive damping system and ACTIVE CURVE SYSTEM dynamic roll stabilisation.
- Electric steering
- Component compartment wall in plastic in order to minimise penetration of noise from engine compartment into the interior
- External noise minimised through acoustic encapsulation of engines
- High-insulation acoustic windscreen
- Additional aero-acoustic sealing in the side sections
- Two-stage adaptive airbags for the driver and front passenger
- Kneebag for the driver
- Sidebags for driver and front passenger (combined thorax/pelvis bags)
- Sidebags in the rear row of seats as an option
- Windowbags across both rows of seats from the A to the C-pillar
- 3-point seat belts on all five seats
- Pyrotechnic reel tensioners and permanent belt force limiters as well as electrically reversible belt tensioners in the front, reel tensioners and single-stage force limiters for the outer seats in the rear
- ISOFIX child seat anchorage
- Belt height adjustment for driver and front passenger
- Belt status display for rear-seat passengers in the instrument cluster
- Automatic child seat recognition (optional) with deactivation of the front passenger airbag if a special Mercedes-Benz child seat is used.
- In a rear-end collision, a passive head restraint system developed specifically for this purpose can reduce the forces exerted on occupants.
- Intelligent Light System, ILS, with specific lighting functions
- Night View Assist Plus with automatic person recognition
- Speed Limit Assist (standard feature of the COMAND Online option)
- Lane Keeping Assist – active/passive
- Blind Spot Assist – active/passive
- DISTRONIC PLUS
- BAS PLUS (in conjunction with DISTRONIC PLUS)
- PRE-SAFE® Brake with autonomous braking (in conjunction with DISTRONIC PLUS)