Mazda to Display All-New Mazda3 and Mazda RX-8 Circuit Trial at Tokyo Auto Salon 2009
Mazda Motor Corporation will showcase an engaging lineup of 13 vehicles and eco-friendly technologies at the Tokyo Auto Salon 2009 with NAPAC. Mazda will be featuring the all-new Mazda Mazda3 (known as Mazda Axela in Japan) – one of the most popular Zoom-Zoom models, now fully redesigned – which is scheduled for launch in Japan in 2009. The 2009 Tokyo Auto Salon will be held at the Makuhari Messe Convention Center in Chiba Prefecture from January 9 to 11, 2009.
Mazda's stand at the Tokyo Auto Salon 2009 will adopt the theme: "Driving-oriented environmental technologies for endless driving pleasure." The spirited lineup of exhibits will include the next-generation Mazda Axela (North American spec Mazda3), which is being revealed for the first time in Japan. Other exhibits will include "Circuit Trial" versions of the all-new Mazda Axela, Mazda RX-8, other popular Mazda models, and six customized versions of the new Mazda Biante minivan, which went on sale earlier this year.
Mazda will also present unique environmental technologies that will ensure it can continue to provide all its customers with driving pleasure in a sustainable future. These include the Mazda Premacy Hydrogen RE Hybrid, which combines Mazda's proprietary hydrogen rotary engine with an electric motor, and i-stop,*1 an engine start-stop system that Mazda has independently developed by utilizing direct injection technology.
Mazda's exhibits at Tokyo Auto Salon 2009
|1||All-new Mazda3 (North American specification model)||Reference exhibit|
|2||All-new Mazda Axela Circuit Trial*2||Reference exhibit|
|3||Mazda RX-8 Circuit Trial||Reference exhibit|
|4||Mazda Demio Circuit Trial||Reference exhibit|
|5||Mazda Atenza Circuit Trial||Reference exhibit|
|6||Mazda Biante WAGONIST Custom||Production accessories|
|7||Mazda Biante SYTLE WAGON Custom||Production accessories|
|8||Mazda Biante Rotas RV Special||Production accessories|
|9||Mazda Biante Colombia Sport MTB Special||Production accessories|
|10||Mazda Biante DAMD||Production accessories|
|11||Mazda Biante KENSTYLE||Production accessories|
|12||All-new Mazda Roadster NR-A||Production vehicle|
|13||Mazda Premacy Hydrogen RE Hybrid||Reference exhibit|
*1 The "i" in "i-stop" stands for "idling", "Intelligent" and "I". It is intend to convey the image that "I am stopping my engine idling." *2 Customized version of the North American spec Mazda3.
Mazda's Exhibits at the Tokyo Auto Salon 2009
1. All-new Mazda3 (North American spec model) (reference exhibit) The Tokyo Auto Salon 2009 will mark the debut of the all-new Mazda3 (Mazda Axela) in Japan. Fully redesigned for the first time since the model was launched in 2003, the all-new Axela inherits and evolves the sporty performance and exterior styling that has made the original version so popular. It offers an attractive interior with high quality equipment and top-class environmental and safety features. The all-new Axela will go on sale in Japan in 2009.
2. All-new Mazda Axela Circuit Trial (reference exhibit; the following three models are also reference exhibits)
3. Mazda RX-8 Circuit Trial
4. Mazda Demio Circuit Trial
5. Mazda Atenza Circuit Trial Mazdaspeed has applied its extensive knowledge of Mazda vehicles to produce these racing circuit ready versions. They combine everyday driving comfort with equipment and performance upgrades to maximize enjoyment at the racetrack. The upgrades include M'z Custom aeroparts, Recaro bucket seats and large diameter tires and alloy wheels made by Yokohama Rubber Co., Ltd.
6. Mazda Biante WAGONIST Custom (production accessories) Wagonist, a magazine for readers who enjoy tuning their wagons and minivans, has customized a Biante for its "Cool Ideas" section. The magazine published a special series of feature articles over six months entitled "Wagonist's Evolution of the Biante."
7. Mazda Biante STYLE WAGON Custom (production accessories) This Biante has been customized by Style Wagon, a specialist tuner magazine for minivan and wagon enthusiasts. It appeared in a feature called "Biante a Go! Go!"
8. Mazda Biante Rotas RV Special (production accessories) This model comes from Rotas, a company specializing in manufacturing and equipping campervans. In this version of the Biante, the minivan's third row of seats has been replaced with a folding board system that provides a flat space measuring 1.8 meters by 1.2 meters.
9. Mazda Biante Columbia Sport MTB Special (production accessories) This Biante has been converted into a sports event support vehicle by the American brand, Columbia Sportswear Company. The third row of seats has been removed and replaced by a sliding bicycle rack.
10. Mazda Biante DAMD (production accessories) This tuner emphasizes the Biante's unique styling under the theme of "Sports & Luxury." Two-tone paintwork enhances the Biante's bold presence while afterparts maker DAMD's elegant styling is combined with sporty performance.
11. Mazda Biante KENSTYLE (production accessories and planned production accessories) The KENSTYLE company's high quality and chic customized parts enhance the Biante's refined design. The Biante KENSTYLE is a mature and subtle sport wagon with a touch of elegance.
12. New Mazda Roadster NR-A (production model) This NR-A customized version of the freshened Roadster, which went on sale in December 2008, is the base model in the Roadster Party Race series in Japan. It comes fully loaded with race-spec parts such as height adjustable Bilstein dampers.
13. Mazda Premacy Hydrogen RE Hybrid (reference exhibit) This Premacy features a unique hybrid system that mates an electric motor with Mazda's hydrogen rotary engine and dual-fuel system, enabling it to run on either hydrogen or gasoline. This Premacy Hydrogen RE Hybrid features unique environmental technologies, including various interior parts made out of Mazda's plant-derived Biotechmaterials.
Mazda's environmental technology exhibits at the Tokyo Auto Salon 2009 Mazda aims to improve the fuel economy of Mazda vehicles sold globally by an average of 30 percent by 2015. Based on its long-term vision for technology development, Sustainable Zoom-Zoom, Mazda continues to advance its technology development in order to offer all its customers outstanding environmental and safety features as well as pure driving pleasure. At the 2009 Tokyo Auto Salon, Mazda will showcase its weight reduction and powertrain technologies, including internal combustion engines that combine driving pleasure with environmental performance.
Vehicle and technology exhibits - Premacy Hydrogen RE Hybrid - i-stop Mazda's i-stop is a proprietary engine stop-start system that uses direct injection technology. It improves fuel economy by approximately 10 percent and restarts the engine in just 0.35 seconds, ensuring that drivers experience a natural driving feel with no sense of delay. i-stop is scheduled for launch in Japan in 2009. - Weight reduction technologies Reducing vehicle weight is a key method of improving fuel economy and dynamic performance. The display will include a new plastic molding technology that significantly reduces the amount of plastic resin used in parts, and various techniques (suspension parts, high-tensile steel, etc.) that were used to cut the weight of the Mazda Demio by approximately 100 kilograms.