2011 Ford Explorer - the outstanding SUV
"The all-new Explorer will deliver today's SUV buyers the attributes they really want and value, and a few they might not even have dreamed of," commented Mark Fields, Ford president of The Americas.
"We're proud to introduce the new Explorer to customers and fans around the world today and pleased to begin a whole new era that blends strong SUV fuel economy and performance.", he added.
2011 Ford Explorer is powered by V6 engine, which is expected to be more than 20 per cent better fuel efficient than the 2010 model. Furthermore, there will be 2.0 liter EcoBoost I4 version, which will exceed the 2010 Honda Pilot and 2010 Toyota Highlander V6.
Chief Nameplate Engineer Jim Holland said the team targeted two key objectives when developing the 2011 Ford Explorer.
Chief Nameplate Engineer Jim Holland said: "It had to look modern and contemporary – inside and out – yet be instantly recognizable as an Explorer,"
"Next, the new Explorer needed to deliver the fuel economy today's customers want, combined with the performance, capability and empowerment they expect from an SUV.", he noted.
Driven by the commitment to give customers unsurpassed fuel efficiency with each new vehicle, Ford attacked every detail to transform Explorer with significantly improved fuel economy:
- Twin independent variable camshaft timing (Ti-VCT)
- Latest Ford EcoBoost engine
- Six-speed automatic transmissions
- Electric power-assisted steering (EPAS) to significantly reduce parasitic power loss
- Intelligent four-wheel drive (4WD)
- Variable-displacement air-conditioning compressor
- Optimized tires for reduced rolling resistance
- Slippery aerodynamics with harmonized front air dam and rear liftgate spoiler
The 2.0-liter EcoBoost I-4 delivers the power of a normally aspirated V6 without compromising four-cylinder fuel economy. It is a turbocharged and intercooled I-4 engine delivering 237hp at 5 500 rpm and 340Nm of torque from 1 700 through 4 000 rpm. The EcoBoost employs direct injection of gasoline, Ti-VCT, direct-acting mechanical bucket (DAMB) valve lifters and four valves per cylinder.
The standard powertrain is FWD with a 3.5-liter Ti-VCT V6 engine developing 290hp and 393Nm of torque. It features optimized camshaft timing of valve opening and closing events to improve mechanical efficiency while delivering increased power and reducing part-throttle emissions. The engine is mated to a six-speed automatic transmission. The overall result is more than 20 percent better fuel economy versus the previous Explorer V6 model.
Explorer V6 models are available with an intelligent 4WD system that adds terrain management. Situation-selectable, this powertrain advancement takes the guesswork out of 4WD range choice.
Standard Explorer safety equipment:
- AdvanceTracwith RSC features Curve Control functionality to provide braking – optimized by each individual wheel
- Second-generation first-row airbags, side seat airbags
- Belt-Minder® for driver and first-row passenger
- Front passenger sensing system
- Energy-management system pretensioning for height-adjustable first-row seat belts
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) system for outboard second-row positions, for safely securing child safety seats
- SOS Post-Crash Alert System™
- Safety Canopy® side curtain airbags
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System
Available Explorer safety features include:
- Adaptive cruise control and collision warning with brake support
- BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with cross-traffic alert
The all-new Explorer is available in three trim series levels – base, XLT and Limited. Each offering presents a robust array of standard features, with a class-leading selection of additional convenience and connectivity options so a buyer can tailor a new Explorer to his or her individual needs and desires.
- MyForddriver connect technology including 4.2-inch LCD screen
- MyKey™ owner control feature
- Air filtration system
- Media hub
- Easy Fuel® capless fuel filler system
- Cruise control
- Power windows, with one-touch down for driver
- Power door locks with child safety rear door locks
- Tilt/telescoping steering column
- Four 12-volt power points
- Cargo hooks
Explorer XLT includes standard content and adds:
- Automatic headlamps
- Six-speed SelectShift Automatic™
- Heated sideview mirrors with LED signal indicators and security approach lamps
- SecuriCode™ keyless entry keypad
- Reverse sensing system
- Perimeter alarm
Explorer Limited includes all base and XLT content, plus:
- PowerFold® sideview mirrors with driver's side memory
- Ambient lighting
- Adjustable pedals with memory functionality
- Cargo net
- Dual-zone electronic temperature control
- 10-way power driver's seat, with power recline and lumbar
- Electrochromic interior mirror
- Rear view camera
- Remote start system
- 110-volt outlet
- MyFord Touchdriver connect technology
- Intelligent Access with push-button start
- Universal garage door opener
"We spent our time listening to customers and addressing their needs to launch an SUV that reinvigorates the Explorer nameplate and delivers on Ford's promise of high-quality, fuel-efficient and technologically advanced vehicles with industry-leading safety," said Jim.
"The all-new Explorer will change market perceptions about SUV style, fuel efficiency, technology and user-friendliness.", he added.
2011 Ford Explorer is expected to go on sale this winter.