2012 Ford Transit Custom Offers Style and Functionality
2012 Ford Transit Custom is going to make its world debut at the Birmingham CV Show. The vehicle is going to show the new design philosophy that it incorporates. It will bring new levels of style, driver appeal and functionality.
Transit Custom represents completely new generation of Ford one-tonne vehicles. First of all it comes with a bold new design. Secondly it "embodies" car-like interior and thirdly offers nothing less than exceptional driving dynamics.
Transit is famous for its toughness and value; however the new model adds to this combining class-leading load-carrying ability, impressive durability and attractive best-in-class fuel economy.
The full range of van, kombi, and double-cab-in-van models of the new the dynamic Transit Custom are expected to go on sale later this year.
The unique design of this commercial vehicle is emphasized by the signature kinetic design features, including the bold trapezoidal grille, strong and muscular shoulder line and prominent wheel lips.
2012 Transit Custom will be available in choice of short wheelbase (SWB - overall length 4.97 metres) and long wheelbase (LWB - overall length 5.34 metres) versions, so that customers can select the amount of load space.
Next to the stylish exterior, this Transit model offers class-leading load carrying ability, including a number of innovative new loadspace features.
More importantly, the load area of the van has been carefully optimized to offer more space and more convenience. Key features and innovations include:
• Optimised bulkhead and loadspace design enables SWB model to carry three Euro pallets loaded to at least one metre high
• Load-through hatch in bulkhead enables loads up to three metres in length, such as pipes or ladders, to be safely carried inside the vehicle
• Class-leading width between wheelarches allows wide loads, such as 8 feet x 4 feet (2440mm x 1220mm) boards to be easily accommodated flat on the floor (or stored vertically if required)
• Class-leading height and width of sliding side load doors for ease of loading
• Deployable integrated roof rack system seamlessly integrated into the roof, and can be deployed when required. When not in use, the cross bars can be quickly folded down, reducing drag and fuel consumption, as well as keeping the vehicle height under two metres (with the exception of the 330 series)
• Repositioned tie-down hooks and fixing points located on the body sides, leaving the floor clear for easier loading and cleaning
• Easy clean load floor liner offers enhanced durability and simple cleaning
In addition, the Transit Custom comes to offer car-like interior, advanced technologies and outstanding driving dynamics.
Its new modern, driver-focused cockpit includes a sculpted instrument panel which combines stylish looks with smart stowage solutions for bottles, phones and papers. Driver comfort is significantly enhanced through a highly adjustable driving position which features increased seat travel – including 30mm more rear travel for taller drivers – and the addition of an adjustable steering column.
The technologies included in the vehicle are:
• SYNC voice-activated, in-car connectivity system – enables mobile phones and music players to be connected to the vehicle, and operated by voice control
• Emergency Assistance – enabled by SYNC, this award-winning new feature is designed to assist occupants to contact the Emergency Services in the event of an accident, providing vehicle location information
• Rear-view camera – display integrated into the rear view mirror
• Lane Keeping Alert and Driver Alert – latest driver assistance features alert the driver if the system detects the vehicle is inadvertently drifting out of the lane, or the driver is becoming tired behind the wheel
The dynamics and the performance of the Transit have also been carefully tuned and now reflect the easy-to-drive character of the van.
The suspension components and steering system have been carefully tuned. As a result, the ride comfort is significantly improved and the handling is mode agile and precise. Transit Custom also features the latest Electronic Stability Program technology with Torque Vectoring Control for enhanced traction and stability.
In terms of safety features, this business van has an optimized body structure which includes ultra-high-strength Boron steel. Almost half of the body of the van is made from high-strength or ultra-high-strength steels. This results in a strong and light body which is designed to offer high levels of crash protection.
More importantly, the 2012 Transit offers class-leading fuel economy, thanks to 2.2-litre Duratorq TDCi diesel engine. The latter is available in 100PS (74 kW), 125PS (92 kW) and 155PS (114 kW) power ratings. Thus power unit now features Auto-Start-Stop as standard on Stage V vehicles, delivering combined fuel consumption of 6.6l100km (42.8mpg) and 174g/km CO2 emissions.