Chevrolet unveils the new Camaro - a fun, efficient sports car for the 21st century
Chevrolet today revealed the new production Camaro, a heritage-inspired sports car for the 21st century, combining great looks and performance, advanced technology and surprising efficiency. Sales in the United States will begin in the first quarter of 2009. The European launch will follow later.
The rear-wheel-drive Camaro comes with two engine options - a V6 and a V8 engine for the SS sports version. All models and powertrain combinations include fuel-saving six-speed transmissions. Advanced powertrain technologies, including engines with direct injection and Active Fuel Management, enable a satisfying balance of exhilarating performance and good fuel economy.
The Camaro exemplifies GM's global development process: The design concept originated in the United States, engineering was directed by GM Holden in Australia, validation was conducted on roads around the world, and assembly will take place at GM's Oshawa facility in Canada.
With a design that is very faithful to the original concept, the new Camaro is a 21st century sports car that acknowledges its heritage. A long front dash-to-axle and short rear deck give the Camaro classic proportions, while a sleek windshield profile, wheels pushed to the corners and muscular fender forms are modern elements that reinforce its advanced engineering – and give the car a decidedly aggressive stance.
Elements such as a forward-V shape at the front of the car and "gills" in the rear quarter panels are distinctly Camaro cues, as are the broad rear fender "shoulders." Those elements make the new Camaro instantly recognizable, but their execution is smoothly integrated into the contemporary exterior form. A family of large, 18-, 19- and 20-inch wheels also contributes to the Camaro's modern appearance.
"The new Camaro is just that – new," said Ed Welburn, vice president of GM Global Design. "We acknowledge the nameplate's strong heritage in the design, but recognize that keeping this modern sports car relevant meant more than simply honoring a classic car. The line forms, stance and overall execution are consistent with other new Chevrolets."
A well-executed balance of heritage, modern design and attention to detail also characterizes the Camaro's interior. A pair of deeply recessed instrument binnacles that feature round gauges in square housings is a nod to classic Camaros, while an available ambient light package offers advanced LED light pipe technology to give the cabin a distinctive and inviting glow. Cloth upholstery is standard; heated leather-appointed seats are available.
Details such as large, chrome-trimmed controls, low-gloss surfaces and premium fabric or acrylic appliques convey a richness that is unprecedented in previous Camaro models – and challenge its contemporary competitors. More great detail is evidenced in the available center-console gauge cluster, which takes its cue from a similar option on 1969 Camaros. It displays oil temperature, oil pressure, state-of-battery and transmission-fluid temperature, all highlighted with modern LED backlighting.
Product highlights include:
- Sleek styling with contemporary cues
- Advanced, 3.6L direct-injected V-6 engine with variable valve timing (224 kW/ 300 hp) and a choice of six-speed manual or automatic transmissions
- SS model offered with 6.2L V-8 (315 kW/422 hP) – including fuel-saving Active Fuel Management on automatic-equipped combinations – and a six-speed manual transmission
- Four-wheel independent suspension system, including a 4.5-link rear suspension
- Variable-rate power steering with the rack mounted forward of the front axle for better weight balance and greater driver feel
- Four-wheel disc brake systems standard on all models, including four-piston Brembo calipers on SS models
- StabiliTrak stability control system and traction control standard on all models
- Competitive/Sport modes for the stability system offered on SS models, including launch control on SS models equipped with the six-speed manual transmission
- Family of 18-, 19- and 20-inch wheels
- Detailed interior with heritage-inspired design, excellent attention to detail and available ambient lighting via LED light pipe technology
- Six standard air bags, including head-curtain side-impact airbags and front-seat-mounted thorax side airbags
The new Camaro also has technologies that enhance performance, comfort and convenience, including:
- Bluetooth phone connectivity
- Premium Boston Acoustics audio system
- USB connectivity
- Ultrasonic rear parking assist (late introduction)
- Remote vehicle starting system
Additionally, details such as frameless door windows with automatic indexing glass contribute to the overall feeling of quality, substance and technical prowess.